Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Abu Dhabi Grand Mosque



Another Thursday night, we're bored, nothing to do, no where to go. My wife's not feeling well, so I said all you need is just a little tour. We thought of going to the malls but at this time of the night (around 8 pm), a lot of people are going to the mall and it's not gonna be a relaxing experience anymore.  As we drive in circles in the city looking for a place to just relax and chill we thought , OK, why not just find a park, buy some Popeye's chicken ( http://www.popeyes.com/locator.php ) along the way and eat it there, then an Idea came!  There's a park near the Abu Dhabi Grand Mosque also known as the Majestic Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque. Why not visit the place, take some pictures and eat at the park afterwards. The three of us agreed and went on our way.



I think this is the biggest prayer mosque here in the UAE ( http://www.visitabudhabi.ae/en/what.to.do/mosques.and.other.places.of.worship/sh.zayed.mosque.aspx ).  Everyone is welcome, even non-muslims.  As we came to the premise, my wife and her sister started to make some poses as I take the shot. (Poor me for being the photographer, I only have two photos for myself.) Of course we were dressed in normal pants and shirt since it's pretty hot even at this time of the night.  While shooting, a man in white uniform (ushers) approached us and said please go to the main entrance of the Mosque and have the ladies wear "abaya" a customary black robe and head dress worn by muslim ladies which is available at the entrance free to borrow. No worries about the clothes, my wife said, they actually smell nice (meaning they are newly washed).  For men, Pants and Shirt is OK. 


Once the ladies got dressed we continued our photo shoot until we got hungry and tired.  People there are reverent, even nonmuslims respect and revere the place, no shouting and loud laughter.  I asked the ushers if I can go inside the prayer roomand take some photos and to my surprise it is allowed. So I went inside and observed the people as they pray while silently taking photos. Then, We left the mosque and looked for a park to eat our mighty chicken! 

Click the link to watch a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHJ4Zv46vSQ (The prayer in the video is pretty much what you will hear during prayer time)

No comments:

Post a Comment